with 5 comments
Jim Morin, Miami Herald
Written by Mick
August 15, 2009 at 4:38 pm
Posted in Health Care, Humor/Satire, Single-payer
Subscribe to comments with RSS.
So much debate is going on pointing out how bad the collectivist approach of the Obama/Democrats will be for our health care, but where is the advocacy of a workable solution?
Here is a brief outline of where we need to go with US health care:
The Modern Health Care Solution
We need to reset our health care system back to a free-market, patient-driven system. Every other successful part of our society runs this way- why not our health care for goodness sake?! We need:
1. Market-based pricing of health care. We need medical Care/Service/Procedures priced up front like everything else in our society- not the price/cost black-boxes of today’s employer and government-subsidized health care.
2. Minute-clinics and similar no-appointment, transparently-priced clinics are going in the right direction of delivering this concept:
3. Just like with the fair, portability of pre-tax 401k’s, we need fair, portable pre-tax health savings accounts for everyone to save their own money over time, make their own decisions on health care, and pay it with their own money.
4. Make health care ‘insurance’ back into actual insurance. Couple health savings accounts with high-deductible catastrophic health insurance policies that people buy like they do for life insurance or car insurance.
5. Reform the medical malpractice system and the laws driving it. In some cases, up to 25% of the cost of individual health care is extra tests and procedures run by doctors to ‘bullet proof’ themselves from malpractice lawsuits.
The above approach gives everyone the access, proper control, and choice over their health- not the opposite helplessness dictated by some far away, faceless bureaucrat.
August 15, 2009 at 6:52 pm
*sigh* Here we go again. More “the free market will solve everything!” blather. Why do you like this cartoon, Brian? We have a free market” in health insurance and the result has been catastrophic, yet here you go, insisting that the “free market” is the answer as if the last 20 years never happened. The toon is blasting “free market” private health insurance and the greed that drives it and your fix is…more “free market” private health insurance.
Conservatives’ naive faith in the “free market” is dangerous. It’s killing people. Pl-ease, plee-ease grow up and quit wishing on a star. Life doesn’t work that way. Neither does health care.
August 16, 2009 at 4:24 pm
Hey Corporate Philosopher. I see you didn’t get the joke. That’s OK, It’s normal for Republican to have an empty stinking hole where a normal human being keeps their sense of humor. Here’s a brief rebuttal of your Bullshit!
1. We have a “free market” based health care system and for “heavens sakes” it is ruinous to our citizens and our nation. In other Countries when your kid gets sick you don’t run the risk of losing you house and that is a reality in the United States even with coverage. It’s a national disgrace that our ranking in the world for health care being nearly last. The market doesn’t work for health care because when a Corporation is making money off you being sick they have no motivation to make you well. Their only legal responsibility is to generate profit for their stockholders and actual morality never enters into the equation. They do have a motivation to kick you off their plan as soon as they find out your sick because actually delivering on the coverage costs money, and they do just that. Why is there a Corporation paying dividends to stockholders, a Corporation paying out enormous CEO bonuses, a Corporation paying for advertising and their Washington lobbies between me and my doctor anyway?
2. Hey great, 401k savings plans and savings accounts for my health care. I’m a musician so I’m gonna save for a broke leg. Get it, break a leg. You, I think, being who you are should probe into some type of rectal savings plan. Great Idea just like George Bush wanted to do to Social Security. If you had a 401k you would have seen it’s value halved one or more times over the last 20 years or whenever Wall Street creates another Bubble that they never could of seen coming. Somehow though, they always manage to cash in while it blows up in the small investors face. The stock market is a fixed game, and why do I need a savings account to pay with “my own money” AND Insurance?
3. High deductibles. What a great help you’ve been. Thanks so much.
4. Tort Reform. Actual malpractice happens and when it affects someone seriously in your family you would think differently about a $100,000 cap on a mistake that could cost you and your family many times that for the rest of your life. The actual costs of malpractice lawsuits on health care is less then 1/2 of one percent. It’s true that doctors in one region may overuse procedures as compared to another region with no better outcomes. Some standardization of practices might be a good idea.
In every case you I see you on the side of the far away faceless Corporate bureaucrat working for profit and against the human being who is literally suffering. How Republican of you.
August 16, 2009 at 5:00 pm
What the Guitar Hero does not realize is that Socialized Medicne is great when it is ur party who is in control. Perhaps lets paint another picture. One when Mr. Parker can not spend all his time picking his brain and is lil’ guitar. You see you want us to pay to watch you play. You want us to pay for you when you do break ur leg on stage.
What will B ur contribution to society, this is the new reality Parker. who really cares about Repubs. and Demos. Will you amount to anything if it is not your meaningless “team” who is winning?
What if it was the Chinese who run your care, what if it is Russia who decides you can get that leg fixed. What if you don’t amount to 23 cents and it is cheaper to just get your leg cut off and you don’t have a choice to keep it or not. What’do’ya do? Are you going to just blame repbs. when your life is in someone elses hands?? What if those hands decide to drop U….. Not becuase of money, but because you don’t agree with them. just get ready to really bend over, kid. U have seen nothing yet.
September 16, 2009 at 8:40 pm
My team are American Citizens who are losing every day to Corporations that hold their lives in their hands right now and drop them all the time for profit. What the hell does Russia and China have to do with anything? Nothing. What world do you live in that nothing can be made to work better and failure is the best we can do. How worthless and weak is your idea of the United States that it can’t possibly do what every other industrialized nation does for less money? You need to pick your own brain a little more and maybe you can make some sense come out.
September 22, 2009 at 3:34 pm
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Google+ account. ( Log Out / Change )
Connecting to %s
Notify me of follow-up comments via email.
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. The Journalist v1.9 Theme.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.